Friday, June 05, 2009

One look at you and I can't disguise....

Child's Day was a lot of fun, and the children begged me to take their photographs. I was happy to oblige. They're beautiful, especially when dancing (and man, they can shake it) and hitting the pinata.

My teacher and I had my lesson in the afternoon and traveled by miserably hot public bus to Playa del Coco, which was so beautiful that I managed to get over the hour long ride. I must admit that I've wished I were home. I am pretty exhausted most of the time--probably from the constant heat and sweating. With that being said, I think coming a week early and learning about the culture, history, and language of Nicaragua was a good idea...for the most part, and now that I'm with my team I feel renewed. I'm sure my first shower with hot water in over a week helped...and bed with non-scratchy sheets and just being able to leave my valuables unlocked in my suitcase. I'm excited about meeting the folks in the village who we've been praying for and wanting to meet for months. Today we're visiting an orphanage, which is a first for me.

In case you're wondering, I'd recommend Nicaragua for an adventure but probably not for a vacation unless you want to shell out a good bit of money for American-priced hotels and transportation. Of course, if you're with other people, it's much easier to afford since you can split the costs, etc. It's definitely not for the faint of heart.

Happy domingo amigas!

Today's lyrics are courtesy of the Managua airport, which I sat in for about 6 hours yesterday waiting for various team member flights and readaing Blink.

p.s. I'm happy for huge waves, avocados almost as big as my head, chubby babies, and all the other beautiful things created by God.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you. Think you will enjoy this week better w/ your peers around. Dr. RJJ

boohoo said...

I'm glad you've enjoyed the extra week :) It'll probably make the weeks to follow feel even better.

OK Chick said...

I can't wait to hear about the orphanage. I have no doubt you will be touched.
I'm happy to hear your team has made it in one piece.

Scotty said...

You're doing awesome things..

I want to see a pic of these avocados. Love them.

Seized by Hope said...

I think my favorite part of this post was the p.s. "I'm happy for huge waves, avocados almost as big as my head, chubby babies, and all the other beautiful things created by God." I felt like I was looking at a snapshot of your heart as the read the words and it made me smile.

Kennethwongsf said...

It seems, in these parts of the world, shower with hot water is a luxury, not a given. You're right--it's not for the faint-hearted, but it's for the big-hearted. :-)

Look forward to hear about the rest of the journey.