Friday, January 09, 2009

This ALWAYS Happens....


So after working over eleven hours most days this week and working last weekend, guess what just happened?

Yep, I'm not a trial lawyer; I'm a settlement lawyer. Because every case I've ever worked has settled. We're canceling the plane tickets, hotels, experts, media team, and so on. All of the adrenaline has left my body, and I feel exhausted and disappointed. And while this is probably the best result because trials are very expensive and juries are so tricky, on a personal level, I hate that I don't get to see all of this hard work through and participate in a trial from start to finish. I wonder how many years I'll practice law before I get to do that.

On the bright side, I now don't have to work this weekend and get to attend the (literally) party of the year. We're burning at least 20 Christmas trees and having chili up on the mountain tomorrow night. I love fire. I also think I'm going to curl up and watch my new DVD of Dead Poets' Society that a friend sent me in the mail this week.

p.s. I'm grateful that there is pretty much always a bright side of some sort. Sometimes we don't see it for years, but it seems to always be there. I'm also grateful that giving up diet soda hasn't been that hard so far. I thought I would really miss the caffeine, but so far so good.

11 comments:

Jennifer Kirby said...

You are KIDDING! Wow. At least you will get paid for all that overtime last week.

Christmas-tree-burning party = great idea!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're disappointed, but it's good you get some relaxation this weekend.

Props to you for quitting soda!

Ally said...

Jennifer: Yep, this way I can take it easy for the rest of the month.

Rachel: Thanks! It's been much easier than I expected.

Scotty said...

I like your P.S. :)

Jennifer said...

I totally love fire but I'm not allowed to play with it anymore. That kind of bonfire-ish setting sounds so very fun!! I'm sorry you didn't get to come to Austin. It's great this time of year!

Kyla Bea said...

Sounds like you're in for an amazing weekend! And that must be so frusterating for you professionally! Gah!

I hope you find some really stubborn and motivated cases soon ;)

Anonymous said...

I just came over from Brandy's place... I think you're mostest hawsum. :)

Dory

Anonymous said...

That party sounds fun...Christmas tree bomb fire and chili...I hope the rain doesn't get to you first. Good job on the diet drinks...

TC said...

Hope you had fun at the party!

boohoo said...

The fire party sounds like fun! I hope you had a good time :)

I didn't realise so many people settled out of court!

Anonymous said...

"Patience is bitter however, its fruit is so sweet"
-Jean-Jeacques Rousseau

Hang in therem you'll get your big chance. CHEERS !