Sunday, October 22, 2006

Quick Update on Mr. Regular

So my office phone rang on Friday, and guess who? Mr. Regular had to tell me that he was from the pizza place because I didn't know who he was when he just said "This is Mr. Regular." I think I even asked if he was a client or insurance adjuster or something.

Once that was cleared up, he asked if I had tried to eat at the Soup Kitchen. I thought that was a kind of stalkerish question, so I replied with an annoyed "no," while pulling up my blog to review what I was suppose to say. I hadn't written it down on a sticky note yet because I didn't anticipate his call until next week since I'd told him how busy was I was at work. Not sure why I expected Mr. Regular to wait a few days or abide by other social customs though. I guess hope springs eternal.

"Well I'm just calling to wish you a happy weekend," explains Mr. Regular.

"Thanks. I hope you have a good weekend and rest of the day. Bye."

Despite our 90 second exchange that didn't include any invitations, my heart rate rose and my face flooded with color. I don't know why things like this affect me that way--particularly given that I've given speeches in front of hundreds of people without feeling that wound up. Oh well, after the very short way in which I responded to Mr. Regular I'm hoping he won't bother me again. While hope springs eternal, I'm betting he will.

p.s. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

13 comments:

cdp said...

How funny that you pulled up your blog to review your response. Classic.

Maybe he'll take the hint . . . you never know!

Anonymous said...

Argh! I am so sorry he called. Maybe he will "get it". I had that similiar exchange with Dr. Brain and I haven't heard from him since. I hope you don't hear from Mr. Regular again. But I do know how hard it is to say "no" to someone when you are put on the spot.

Aaron said...

I'm throwin' a Halloween-sized bag of Reeses in the pot that says Ally will hear from him by Tuesday of next week.

Anyone want to take me up on that bet?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure he will call back. After all he hasn't gotten an official 'no' yet. He's thinking 'she was busy' and 'she was nervous'. And he's going to try again. I'd almost bet he's going call you today. If he doesn't see you at the Soup Kitchen, that is. I recommend eating in today. :)

icadle said...

maybe you should carry a print out of your blog with you and the next time he contacts you, perform a dramatic & interpretive reading, complete with visual effects, (i.e. extended middle finger of your blog and most especially the comments.

Ally said...

Aaron I'm with you--I'm betting he'll call by close of business tomorrow. I already have lunch plans every day this week, so I hope I don't cop out with "I'm busy" b/c I think a "NO" is going to be required to close this chapter. Greenlineboy, you make a really good point--he's probably rationalizing that I cut him off on the phone because I was nervous (instead of facing the reality that I don't want to talk to him).

I'm thinking that a print out of the blog and comments should be mailed to Mr. Regular at the hospital....

FCF: Do you like the Inside Outs?

Shannon said...

Yeah, I don't think he got the hint. I have a feeling he'll try again.

With a guy like that, you have to be blunt and specific as in "Please don't call me again."

He'll survive after your rejection.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and your writing is fabulous! Sorry I've been such a pest.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA @ Mr. Regular from psychostalker.com .... funny!


Ally, Call Dominos for the next couple weeks!

Anonymous said...

;Aaron and Greenline boy are right on the money. An emphatic NO More is the only thing Mr. Regular pycho-stalker will understand. I am fairly certain he was one of my patients and I told him I was retiring and moving to Alaska just to get rid of him. Also moved , changed business card , phone no. etc. You Gotta do it . Sooner the better and be sure to let us know the outcome. On by the way I would find out this dude's real name and at least let someone know who he is. I would oblige but of course that is patient/couselor privilege. DR. RIDGE

icadle said...

I just want to come to the aid of the italian beauty on the Bachlor. She may be as shallow or caniving as everyone else on the show, but she really is pretty. I like the exotic flair she is lending to an otherwise droll series. We really need to do another batchlorette series. the women are much better at picking.

Aaron said...

The verdict?

Do I owe anyone any Reeses?

Ally said...

Ivy: I think the Italian has a great figure, but her hair/face leave something to be desired. But how sweet it is of you to come to her aid; I'm not the least bit surprised....Ivy Cadle the defender of really pretty women everywhere. Oh, but I do totally agree that we need another Bachelorette.

Aaron: I was out of the office for most of the day, so I don't know for sure. I did just check my voicemail, and I didn't have one from him. I do suspect, however, that he's the type to keep on calling until he gets me "live" instead of leaving a message (b/c deep down he has to know I wouldn't really call him back).