Thursday, October 26, 2006

Things for Which I'm Happy...

Henry David Thoreau: He wrote one of my favorite books—Walden. I've loved that book since I first read it in seventh grade. This quote was definitely gave me peace when I was 12 and felt so different than my peers (who seemed soooo immature): "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." And one of his most quoted quotes: "If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." I love his reminder that "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation."

"Hands Down": This song by Dashboard Confessionals always make me smile.

"Hanging by a Moment" is the song that convinced me to buy the Lifehouse CD, and I've been a big fan ever since. There other songs are fantastic too, and I think most of them are about being a Christian; although I don't think they are marketed that way.

"Here I Go Again": Remember the supermodel on the hood of the car? Gotta love Whitesnake.

"Hey Jealousy" (Gin Blossoms) and "Hold On" (Wilson Phillips): I've probably listened to these songs 1000 times.

"Honey & the Moon" (Joseph Arthur): There's just something really sweet about this song; it kept me company during travels last year.

Heaven, hope, hot chocolate (with whip cream and made with milk), Hungry Hungry Hippo, He-Man ("By the power of Grey Skull, I have the power!!!"), hamburgers (from the grill with cheese and ketchup), hands, handsome men (although there are too few), hotdogs (burnt on the grill), happy hours, Harry's in a Hurry, hostels (that's how I afforded to stay in Europe an extra two weeks), the humanities

Harvard University: My family never traveled, except for work related trips for my step-father. When I was 13 he had to attend a week-long workshop at Harvard, so we FINALLY got to go somewhere besides Florida and Jekyll Island. I absolutely loved Boston and Cambridge and had my first taste of exploring a cool new place, which became a real love for travel.

Honesty: I love really honest and candid people, and I strive to be that kind of person. Today I did something really honest; and it wasn't easy but I'm glad I did it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Humility. I've often been reminded on humility at my own expense. As someone who "grew up" before your peers, I'm proud that this is something you've learned (even if you didn't mention it).

If we're quoting music...
Hard to Handle, Black Crowes
Have A Cigar, Pink Floyd
Head Over Heels, Tears For Fears
Here Without You, 3 Doors Down
Hero Of The Day, Metallica
Holding On, Ferry Corsten
Hollowman, Trapt
Honey, This Mirror Isn't Big Enough For The Two Of Us, My Chemical Romance
Hot For Teacher, Van Halen

...to name a few. :)

Heaven! An excellent choice! Something I've certainly thought about more as a child than an adult. Odd, isn't it? Every day I live is certainly a day I'm alive, but a day I'm closer to death. Perhaps I should think about heaven more often.

Hamburgers and Hotdogs? Can't go wrong with that. I'll take one of each with all the fixins! :)

Hands? How about holding hands? Thats worth mentioning.

HEALTH! I've never been healthier than I am now. I attribute that to a lot of things, including the understanding that no one is more responsible for my health than me. I certainly don't have the best genetic makeup for long life and the odds are weighed against me. I won't live forever, but I definately intend on spoiling grand children.

Hiking. My most favorite past time. I've spent more time by myself in the woods, especially in the past year. A place away from the worries of the world. A place where I've felt more spiritual than anywhere else. I once heard someone say, "To understand the creator, you must understand the creation." How true, for me.

Anonymous said...

Very good blog by Aaron. Humility was the first word that I also thought of that may should have been included. Since is blog is all encompassing (in my opinion) I will spare you of a blog re: subject. DR Ridge

DCVita said...

Great list! I love Thoreau too. All those poets and authors had so much wisdom.

He-Man and She-ra! I used to watch them religiously every day after school. Man, those were the good 'ol days!

Anonymous said...

"I have the power!" LOL. Did you remember that off the top of your head or did you have to google it?

Happy Friday!

cdp said...

Hungry Hungry Hippos was the BOMB.

I also concur re. Lifehouse, Dashboard Confessional, and Whitesnake. (Yet another reason I love Old School.)

PS, how disappointing that BOTH of last night's episodes were repeats? WhatEVER.

Anonymous said...

hooooooooold on.. to one more day.. things'll go your way....

haha... I listened to that wilson phillips song hundreds of times too...


how about..

HEY HEY we're the monkeyssssssss

haha

Halloween (my 2nd favorite "H"oliday.

Ally said...

Aaron: Nice list! And thank you for the compliment about humility; I think that is a constant work in progress, and I never would describe myself that way. Humility is something I should be grateful for and strive for though. And my health is something I constantly thank God for, so add it to my list too.

DCVita: Every day after school I had an orange slush and settled in front of TV to watch those two shows too.

Ella: I actually ran across the quote on a blog the other day, and it reminded me.

Cindy: Grey's better be new this next week!!

FC&F: No, I haven't heard from Mr. Regular (yeah!!), but I did see him on Thursday at the Soup Kitchen. I was with a friend and didn't make eye contact or speak, and she was nice enough to get my refill for me (so he couldn't use that as an opportunity to talk to me). I'm hoping the short conversation the other day and the cold shoulder will do it. Looks like we were all wrong about him calling--haven't heard a word!

Jordan: I didn't even think about Halloween--not to mention the special candies, like Reese's Inside Outs, that come with it.

Anonymous said...

How about Harmony? Didn't you meet a couple of your past boyfriends on eharmony.com??

Howard the Duck- One of my all-time favorite movies.

Harry Potter-I think even you would enjoy these books.

Halitosis- I love it when people have bad breath, don't you?

Hard Candy- Great CC album, especially good to listen to this time of year(Holiday in Spain)

Hard Rock Hotel(Orlando)-Great place to distribute bouncy balls and/or lounge around in speedos.

Hanson- What a great band- If you could refer any/all blogs on this band, it would be much appreciated.


Hope you had a wonderful weekend, Ms. Jackson.

P.S. I am actually updating my blog when I get back to the northeast.

JSM

Ally said...

JSM: You're the only ex-bf I met on the internet and that was thanks to Ryan not eharmony. Hard Rock hotel is also a good place to do a number of things--most of which I'm not going to talk about on a public, non-anonymous blog:) I'll believe the update when I see it!